February 29, 2016

Watercolor Wonder - February '16 and the 30 Day Coloring Challenge - Day 29



Happy Leap Year!

Here we are on the last day of the month and that means time for the February edition of The 12 Kits of Occasions! Nancy Penir is our hostess this month and what a treat you are in for. She sent us an amazing kit full of potential for amazing watercolouring. She sent us everything you could need to enter the world of watercolor! Watercolour paint and pencils, brushes, paint cups, rock salt, masking fluid as well as stamps, die cuts and embellishments.  I could have made double the cards that I did. So lets get started...

This first card was my favourite because I tried a new to me technique of using salt with watercolouring. What happen is that salt absorbs some of the wet coloured paint off the card base leaves behind splotches depending on where the salt landed. I used both rock salt and regular table salt for two very different results. Using salt on watercolour reacts very different based on intensity of colours, papers used and how wet the paper is when you sprinkle the salt on to it. Rock salt creates large splotches where regular table salt creates more fine or detailed splotches. Very fun to do!

tracey_12K3

This second card I used the blue and purple watercolour pencils that Nancy provided with 
the kit along with a waterbrush. I touched the tip of the pencils with my waterbrush to pick up the pigment and then colored the flowers. When I was done I added table salt only to the blooms. Once it ws dry I removed the salt and then used two shades of green ZIG Clean Color Real Brush Markers along with my waterbrush again for the leaves.

tracey_12K4

For this next card I added some gold metallic watercolour from the Gansai Tambi palette. It didn't photograph very well, it looks kind of dirty but very pretty in real life. The photo below this one I took a photo with my iPhone to pick up the shimmer.

tracey_12K2


My final card was one of those unexpected results. I coloured this with my ZIGs and when I finished the peeled orange I switched to a deeper colour for the unpeeled orange. When I put the colour down on the left the it was very vivid and I needed more water from the waterbrush to dilute it and of course it bled over the line. At first I thought it was heading to the recycle bin but one things with watercolour is that it is very forgiving so by added more and more water I was able to blend it out and actually liked the results. I still have so much to learn.

tracey_12K1

This is for Day 29 of Kathy Racoosin's 30 Day Coloring Challenge at The Daily Marker.com!




Hope over to the 12 Kits blog to see what the rest of the team has for you today and to see who our guest is this month!

21 comments :

Lynn said...

A set of beauties Tracey. Love reading how you created each one. Beautiful!

Birgit said...

Fabulous cards from this fun kit, Tracey! I've never tried salt or rock salt and am totally intrigued and want to give it a try. I look forward to seeing all the 12 Kits posts every month!

Karen B. said...

Good golly all of these are amazing! The grm carcd and orange card are truly stunning.

Nancy Penir said...

Go Tracey! Gorgeous results with the rock salt! Hope you don't laugh, but my favorite is the orange blossom card! The bleed is like a halo! Lovely!

Diane Jaquay said...

These all look beautiful, Tracey, and what a wonderful, fun kit to explore with! I haven't tried the salt technique yet either, yours turned out great!

Jeanne J. said...

Wasn't this a great excuse to play around and try some new things! Love the reaction you got with the different salts .. and SWOON that gold Gansai Tambi! Gold is so hard to photograph but you got it perfect on that close up.. I think I'm drooling. Immediately want to go searching for some gold watercolors!! LOL! If that doesn't say how much I love it I don't know what does!!

TK said...

Looks sweet enough to eat - to me!

Marybeth said...

All gorgeous in Tracey style! Love the gold brush strokes and the orange blossom card is painted beautifully! Now I am going to give that rock salt a try! Well done !

I Card Everyone said...

Oh Tracey do I ever love the results, and differences, you've achieved with the rock and table salts! However! This last card, beautifully water-coloured!!!
=]

Kay Miller said...

These are all so beautiful Tracey! I love seeing all the neat ways you used everything!

Sharron said...

Love how these turned out! And thanks for sharing the info about the salts. I'm going to try some table salt next. All of your watercolor colors look so awesome, especially the gold! The orange blossom card came out great too!!

Barb Ghig said...

Beautiful watercoloring on all of your cards, Tracey! I love the effect of the salt, and the shimmer of the gold on your 'Gem' card! I also love how you worked out your colors on the last card...Very pretty results!

Anita in France said...

Such fabulous watercolour effects, Tracey ... what a stunning collection ... the softly coloured last one is especially gorgeous ... so glad you kept it out of the recycling! Hugs, Anita :)

Cat Craig said...

Tracey, what wonderful cards you created with your kit. Watercolors are so much fun.

Marcia Hill said...

Amazing cards Tracey! Totally in love with your gold card...CAS and just SO elegant! Love your "orange" card too...I think it's absolutely perfect! I had such a great time playing with this kit, and now seeing all the different cards made with exactly the same supplies...I will definitely be following all of you ladies each month now, as I think this is such a cool idea! Thank you too for the very kind words you left on my blog...blogging friends really are the best!! :0)

Bobby said...

Fantastic, Tracey. I have the stamp you used on the first card but haven't used it. It looks great with that red watercolored background. Those oranges look amazing and the other cards are so great, too.

Lisa Elton said...

Loads and loads of prettiness Tracey! I was afraid to try the oranges, thought I would mess them up, but yours looks great. And I love how much our purpley/blue blooms look alike!!

Jinny Newlin said...

Beautiful cards, Tracey! Love all the watercoloring this month!

Joyce said...

A fantastic bunch of cards, Tracey. Love how you experimented with different sizes of salt crystals. My favorite is your second card, as I just love all the different shades of color on those flowers. Need to try that one.

Alanna said...

These are all so beautiful. Love the watercolor look to all of them.

Lindsey said...

Yay! I can comment today! As I said on IG, you did such an amazing job with this kit. your bold wash with the B&W focal point on the first is so incredible, I LOVE how you experimented with the salts...definitely want to give that another try, and your unplanned bleeding on your orange card turned out to be the loveliest of "mishaps".