August 11, 2018

Winnie & Walter - Leading Lady Week 2

Happy Saturday and I am back again today taking over the Winnie & Walter blog with my Week 2 post as the August Leading Lady.




Last week I gave you some tips on ways I personally add extra to my CAS cards without adding extra weight to my cards both physically and design wise. This week my theme is creating backgrounds.  I'm going to share some tips on how I create my own background panels by using images from the same or multiple stamp sets.

When creating a background with multiple stamps I follow some basic rules to make the design look more authentic and sometimes whimsical.

1) Stamp some of the images off the edges.
2) Rotate the images so that they are no all the same direction.
3) Either leave the same amount of space between all images or vary the spacing to once again encouraging the artistic and whimsical feel.
4) I personally always start my design in the upper left corner of my panel and then as I build the images I work down and towards the centre of the panel filling in the spaces as I stamp. There is less chance of getting cornered where you can't fit an image into the space and end up leaving an awkward space.

For my first card I used Purrfect with Evelin T Designs to create a fun background for this playful kitty. To reinforce that the playful theme of the card the balls of wool are all turned all different directions and the spacing varies to represent that this naughty kitty left the balls of wool all over the house! All my stamped was done with Copic friendly ink and the images were coloured with Copic Markers--R00, G12, B000, V01, Y13, T0 and T1.



A closer look--



For my second card I used In Bloom: Carolina`s Florals with Angelica Suarez. I stamped and heat embossed the outline images from the set with with VersaFine Onyx Black ink and clear embossing powder on Bristol Smooth cardstock to use with ZIG Clean Color Real Brush Markers. On this card I kept the spacing between the images similar but I did continue to turn the images around on the panel. I used the two tiny branches to fill in the gaps. The ZIG colours I used were--021, 028, 050, 052, 036, 031 and 041. Once the watercolour was dry I added my sentiments. The happy and `birthday wishes`were both heat embossed in white on black cardstock. The happy was popped up with foam tape.



A closer look--





I have a  $30 gift certificate for Winnie & Walter gift certificate to giveaway on my blog, In My Creative Opinion. Visit all four of my Leading Lady posts this month and leave me a comment. On September 3rd I will draw a name from all my comments from over the month to win.  You can enter once each week so you could have up to four chances to win...good luck!






I hope you had fun learning how I create my own patterned backgrounds with stamps. See you again next Saturday for another Leading Lady post. Have a great day.


46 comments :

Marianne said...

Really sweet cards, Tracey. Love that you have achieved different looks using the same basic principle.

Dana M said...

What lovely and sweet cards! Love the backgrounds and great tips on how to make them.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are beautiful! LOVING the little kitty!!!!!!!!!

Denise Bryant said...

Beautiful cards! I love that sweet kitty and the yarn ball background! And your second card is so pretty with the flowers! Love the colors!

pcm said...

great tips! you make it look so easy....

cghundley said...

Lovely background
stamping on your
cards!
Carla from Utah

Janis said...

Beautiful and super-fun cards! And, yes, I have some very naughty kitties that would love to strew yarn all over my house!!

Thank you for the background building tips. I rarely stamp my own backgrounds (something to do with the tons of patterned paper on my shelves!!) so I appreciate you spelling it out so simply for me. :)
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

I love your gorgeous projects!

Cat Craig said...

Tracey, I love that yarn and card card. So darned cute. Love the tips on the background as well. Your flowery card is fantastic too. Loving seeing you as a leading lady.

Lisa Petrella said...

These cards are so fantastic, Tracey!!! I especially love the kitty one! So adorable!!! And great tips for stamping backgrounds!

Gayle Bartholomew said...

Tracey, both of your cards are so pretty. I've always loved cats, so really like the cat one with the cute balls of yarn for the background. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Holshouser said...

Loved to crochet but never had a kitty
around to play with my yarn. Fun card.
The flowers are fantastic.
thanks for sharing two great cards.
txmlhl(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sue D said...

cute and colorful backgrounds. Love the one with the yarn balls and kitty.

Greta said...

The kitty card is adorable, Tracey, but I especially love the floral BD card! That stamp set has been on my wishlist & I love your coloring of the images! Not sure I've ever tried starting in the corner to build a background, but now I'm going to try it!

Andre M. said...

So happy to see this fun technique as it's one of my favourites. Love the colour palettes you've used on your cards.

Brandi R said...

Kitty is sooo cute! Love it and the gorgeous colors you used on those fab flowers. Fantastic cards ♥

McStamper said...

Great background ideas. Love the beautiful flowers. Awesome coloring.

mandalj said...

Lovely cards! Thanks for the tips on how to achieve a balanced background with multiple images - I often end up with weird spaces or crowded parts so hopefully your tips will help with that!

Anita in France said...

A cute and whimsical duo, Tracey ... that little kitty is adorable with the wool ball background ... and those tiny blooms and leaves are so pretty! Thanks for the great tips ... and another great W&W Leading Lady post! Hugs, Anita :)

Lori Kobular said...

Both of your cards are wonderful! I really love the kitten one with all those balls of yarn tempting the kitty to get into trouble!

Arianna Barbara said...

Adorable cards! Love this sweet kitty!

Isabel Z said...

Love what you created; you are so talented.

Jen W. said...

Loving seeing you over on W&W, Tracey, and this kitty card especially has stolen my heart! :)

Trina P. said...

Beautiful cards, Tracey! I’ve been wanting to try stamping backgrounds, so your tips are going to be so helpful! TFS! xx

Kris in Alaska said...

That kitten card is just to cute!

Leanne said...

Lovely cards! Love the floral one.

Linda said...

Thanks for the tips, Tracey. Such great cards. I particularly like the flowered background. So pretty.

Lisa Elton said...

These are both adorable Tracey, love the colors and your background stamping!

Karenladd said...

I love that you used the smaller images to make fun and colorful backgrounds and the yarn ball is especially cute!

{VICKI} said...

the 2nd card is my fave

Barb Ghig said...

Beautiful backgrounds, Tracey! I love how you added a pop of color to each one and your whimsical designs are fabulous!

SHartl said...

That cute kitty card makes me squeal with happiness! I love the background and that cat is going to get into some big trouble..you know it!!

Stacey Kowbel said...

Fabulous cards! I love the kitty with the yarn background - so cute! Great set of tips for creating your own background with stamped images!

Darnell said...

Great handmade designer backgrounds for your incredible cards, Tracey, and great tips for all of us! Thank you!! Hugs, Darnell

Maria said...

Both cards are awesome, Tracey! Can't pick a fav at all! Love the sweet kitty card with all the balls of yarn! And, floral card is very pretty with the colorful flowers!

Maura said...

I love this type of card - but I'm too chicken to try it (all that stamping and if it doesn't look good....)!! Thanks for the inspiration, your cards are always lovely!!

Helen Gullett said...

Oh I love that adorable cat card
And the flower card is so beautiful!

BeverlyBL said...

I tend to overdo a bit when I make my own backgrounds. Gonna give it another try. Both of your cards and backgrounds look great to me.

Dee Earnshaw said...

Just adorable pieces of art - Love the Kitty !! thanks for sharing:)

Michele K. Henderson said...

This kitten with the string is such a fun and whimsical design! Love how you've created the background, and the way you've colored the kitten! Super sweet!

Nora Noll said...

I really like how you used the small images for the backgrounds. They look so lovely!!

Jen P said...

The backgrounds you created are beautiful! Love popped up happy with the black and white heat embossed. It really pops!

Jeanne H said...

You inspire me to use smaller stamps. Love the kitty card and colorful flowers. Thanks!!

sharon g said...

The kitty card is SO cute. I love the kitty AND the balls of yarn. Adorable. It makes me think of my sweet, departed kitty...

Yasmine Omar said...

Beautiful cards! I loved the second card with all these small flowers and lovely colors. Thanks for the inspiration.

Mary-Anne V said...

Love your use of the smaller images in the sets!