May 9, 2017

Birch Press Design Inlaid Flutter Plate



Springtime is full of wildlife and beautiful butterflies. For today's Tuesday feature I am going to be showing you how to use a single cover plate die and some watercolour to create a beautiful inlaid die cut butterfly scene. I have created a short video to show you how I created my watercolour panel that I am pulling the inlaid die cut pieces from.


I will be using the Birch Press Design Flutter Plate C for my design. I use a small board to do my watercolouring on. Start off by taping a piece of watercolour paper down to the board using some painter's tape. Use a flat brush to wet the paper with clean water. Then use a round brush, I used a #2, to add red, bright pink and purple to the panel concentrating the colours to the three areas where the butterflies on the cover plate are located. I added a first layer and then dried the panel with a heat tool, then added more colour to the areas that needed a bit more and then dried the panel again.

 

Cut the Flutter Plate C from black cardstock and adhere the black die cut to a white card base securely.


  Use Flutter Plate C to cut the dried watercolor panel. Before removing the watercoloured panel from the die, flip it over and run adhesive tape over the back of the butterflies right on the die. This will make it easier when inlaying the pieces so they will stick to the card base.


Now one butterfly at a time and working either from top to bottom or bottom to top, which ever you find easier. Piece the watercoloured butterfly into the black butterfly on the card base. I use a poker to help free the pieces from the die cut.



The butterfly body and antennae were cut from silver sparkle cardstock. A sentiment from the Birch Press Design Close to the Heart stamp set was added to finish the card off. In the end you have a card with of great texture and interest!

To get more bang for you buck, make another quick and easy card using the inverse die cut!



Please pop over to the Birch Press Design blog to see my full post!
Have a wonderful day!



15 comments :

Cat Craig said...

Beautiful.

Sharron said...

Stunning card, Tracey! Love the gorgeous colors you created!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~amy~ said...

Tracey, this is so pretty!

I Card Everyone said...

OH how fantastic ... the color possibilities boggle my mind! Gorgeous in your wonderful pinks, Tracey!
=]

Linda said...

Beautiful butterflies Tracey. Love the inlaid look.

Jen Mitchell said...

What a stunning design! The colors of the butterflies are so vibrant and I love the silver glimmer bodies. Great tutorial too!!

Lisa Lara said...

Oh my gosh, what gorgeous piece work Tracey. WOW.

Lynn said...

I love those deep, rich pinks. They are fabulous Tracey!

Kim Heggins said...

Stunning card....those colors are so beautiful!

Anita in France said...

Bold, dramatic and beautiful, Tracey, both of them ... love to see you create ... such happy music! Hugs, Anita :)

Bobby said...

Beautiful butterflies, Tracey. And getting a second card from the leftovers is such a plus.

Kay Miller said...

Wow!! Both of your cards are amazing Tracey! I love the first one with the black and red, but the second one is gorgeous too!

Barb Ghig said...

Absolutely, positively GORGEOUS cards, Tracey!!! I love how you blended all those beautiful pinks and purples and your touch of sparkle is sheer perfection! Thanks so much for the video...I enjoyed watching your watercoloring process!

Lisa Elton said...

WOW Tracey, these are beautiful!! Thanks for the tutorial too. Fabulous cards!!