January 1, 2024

Color Hues #78

We have a new colour duo starting today at the Color Hues for Color Challenge #78! Teammate Marcia Hill picked these colours perfect for winter themed cards!

I started with Concord & 9th Harbor cardstock, which is a very light blue. Then I ink blending Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide from the edge towards the centre. Next I blended Faded Jeans Distress Oxide from the edge but not as far to the centre. To make the navy a bit darker I used Black Soot Distress Oxide just on the edges. I used all the colours again to blend out the lines. 

After it was dry I used white pigment ink to create some Bokeh circles on the panel. I had three different sized masks that I created with circle dies. I used a small finger dauber so that I had more control. The blending foams are a bit large to put only a small amount of ink around the edges,  Make sure your white pigment ink is juicy before starting, mine was a bit dry and I didn't have reinkers so I had to go over to around my circles masks a few times.

TIP: Make sure that the panel is completely dry between layers. I used distress oxide inks which are very wet and that first layer needs to be completely dry so that when you add the Bokeh circles the white really stand's out. If it's not dry your white can mix with the Distress Oxide Inks and make a new shade of blue. 



I let the panel dry once again and then I stamped snowflakes from Hero Arts Layered Snowflakes with white pigment ink and embossed with white powder. Again with the ink pad a bit dry I did not get really good coverage like I would have with VersaMark. Although the blotchy snowflakes almost make them look more realistic.

 TIP: Before embossing on a Distress Oxide background test the panel to make sure it dry. Pour a little embossing power over the panels to see if it slides off, if it sticks the panel is still wet. An extra step can save you from having embossing powder sticking where you don't want it to.



The sentiment is from the Hero Arts Layered Snowflake stamp set. White embossed on black cardstock. The last steps was to splatter some white acrylic paint on the panel for a few more snowflakes.

This card was so much fun to make. Lots of techniques but so rewarding  just make sure you dry well between layers. You can use a heat tool to,speed up the drying but I've never really had luck with that, nothing beats good old fashioned Time!

 

If you head over to the Color Hues blog you will see what the rest of the team has made with these colours. I thought the assortment of cards was amazing!

I can't wait to see what you do with these colours!



16 comments :

!neke said...

Great card !! And happy 2024 !
groeten Ineke

Natalie said...

Love, love, love the navy and snowflakes! Thanks so much for commenting and playing along with our Word Art Wednesday blog hop!! Happy New Year!

Julie B said...

Love the bokeh effect on the graduated blue background Tracey, it almost glows. Here's to a very happy and healthy New Year! :)

Lisa Elton said...

I love the way you blended the colors and then came back in with the Bokeh! Beautiful card, Tracey! Happy New Year!

Bobby said...

I love the bokeh effect on your beautifully blended blue background, Tracey.

Jeanne H said...

What a gorgeous card!

I Card Everyone said...

Tracey, I'm happy to report there isn't a flake to be seen in our neck of the woods! [and your Christmas card arrived -thanks so much!]
LOve your crackled snowflakes and your bokeh bubbles, too!
So pretty!
=]

Cindy Beach said...

Tracey, your card is one of my very favorites for this challenge. The inking is AMAZING and so beautiful and the bokeh is a wonderful addition. I'd have never thought of that, it's a great technique. Happy New Year to you!

Karen said...

I'm in love with that beautiful background! The ink blending is gorgeous and the bokeh you created adds such a sense of dimension. (I've never tried that--and will have to google it to figure it out.) The white snowflakes are stunning--what a wonderful card! Happy New Year!

Cat Craig said...

lovely use of colors...the bokeh circles add lovely interest. And thank you for the Christmas card.

Nancy said...

Tracey, I know you ran into some complications with this card but the end results are truly wonderful! I am pinning this for next year as I love it so very much! Happy New Year to you too!

Nancy said...

Tracey, this card is just something else and so very pretty! Those bokeh circles were such a wonderful idea. I know you had a few complications but the end results are magical. Pinning this to CASE later this year! Happy New Year too!

Bonnie said...

Oh how that black on the edges makes the white really sing.

JulieP said...

I absolutely adore your background and can't wait to try it. I actually think the snowflakes look better when they're "imperfect" as it gives them more texture. This is just stunning and an awesome card to start out the new year.

Marcia Hill said...

This card is such a STUNNER Tracey!! I am just blown away by your gorgeous background with the beautiful blending and of course those wonderful bokeh circles! You definitely have a lot more patience than me...I find it so hard to wait to let things dry! Haha...my own worst enemy! Your snowflakes and sentiment are perfect too...a lovely, lovely card my friend! Happy New Year! Hugs. :0)

Stef Perry said...

What a brilliant idea to create bokeh on your ink blended background! It looks fabulous and in the photos the snowflakes almost seem to sparkle, so I would have never guessed the embossing coverage wasn't perfect. What a gorgeous card, Tracey! Happy New Year to you and your family!