May 31, 2012

CAS-ual Fridays Challenge #54 & RS #13

I combined two challenges today.  CAS-ual Friday's challenge this week was to make a CAS card for a man using patterned papers.  I picked up Pink Paislee's Prairie Hill this spring and it was the perfect choice for a masculine card.  The Retro Sketches challenge this week was a sketch based on a  card by Jackie Rockwell.  I tossed ideas around in my head for a few days when I decided it was a great chance to use my PTI Zipper die for this sketch. Putting it together I found it would work so much better if I gave the sketch a 90° turn to the right.  I used my new Papertrey Impression Plate on the card base.  I was really pleased with the end result of a Father's Day card for my hubby.




I can't believe I remembered to take a shot before gluing the zipper panel on.







Cardstock: Vintage Cream
Patterned paper: Prairie Hill 6" x 6" paper pad (Pink Paislee)
Stamps: World's Greatest (Papertrey Ink)
Ink: Dark Chocolate (Papertrey Ink), Tuxedo Black Memento (Tsukineko)
Impression Plate: Simple Stripes (Papertrey Ink)
Dies: Movers & Shakers Zipper, Up Up & Away, Chevron (Papertrey Ink)
other: foam dots


Where I live we have more cool weather than warm.  After sometimes harsh winters spring is such a happy time seeing the gardens come back to life.  I was out on Wednesday morning taking a few snapshots of my gardens doing just that.






18 comments :

Anonymous said...

Love your interactive card, Tracey! The layout you used is super cool, and the flowers in your garden are sooo pretty! Thanks so much for playing along with CAS-ual Fridays!

Lisa Elton said...

Love your take on the sketch Tracey and those fun patterned balloons ~ great card! Your flowers look beautiful. My favorite in our yard is my dwarf lilac, but I think the frost got it too many times this year. It had just a sprinkling of leaves and tiny buds that never opened :(

Cyndie said...

Gosh, Tracey, I love this card! You really rocked both challenges-- the patterned paper balloons are so cute, and I love the hidden message under the zipper die cut!

LeAnne said...

That zipper die looks like a lot of fun, and what a great card you created! And your garden flowers are GORGEOUS!

Joyce said...

What a great card. I love those hot air balloons in the patterned paper, and your hubby will have such fun pulling the zipper. Those are two great challenges, but I would not have thought to combine them. You did a great job, and now I am wondering what I thought was so hard, because you made it look so easy.

Kim Heggins said...

Tracey, this is so fabulous for your hubby for Father's Day...don't you just love playing with that zipper die??? I don't use it often enough but you are just so clever. Your hot air balloons with the patterned paper are perfect and the triangles along the bottom edge just so great!!! Your garden is so beautiful, so many wonderful flowers you would never know you don't get warm weather. I love the ones that look like snowballs among the pine, looks like Christmas will be here soon.

Jackie Rockwell said...

Very COOL card Tracey! The zipper die works so wonderfully with this card. Just the right amount of color, texture and pattern!!! So glad you played RetroSketches this week! :)

Virginia L. said...

Hi Tracey! Love your take on the pattern paper for the manly card! The use of elements and layering are superb! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Pauline said...

This is fab Tracey, what a lovely interactive card for your husband, I love the sentiment.

Arlene said...

Love your card Tracey! I've been thinking about getting this die, love the way you used it. This is a perfect masculine card! Also, LOVE your flower garden. :)

Darnell said...

Love your CAS interactive card, Tracey, and thank you for sharing the awesome flowers from your budding garden!

Lynn said...

Your garden is so gorgeous. I'm sure it is wonderful to go out and see all the beautiful blooms.

Your card is fabulous. Love how you turned the sketch and the zipper covering the sentiment is awesome. So glad you could play with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Marybeth said...

Gorgeous photos Tracey, the flowers are stunning love the last one with the pine tree and the hydrangea. You sure know how to make an older stamp look so current and new. I love the way you have been using your up up and away set. Love this one, and so will your husband.

Deb said...

Tracey, I love this! Love how you turned the sketch and made it work for you. The papers you chose are awesome! Your hubby will love it!

Suzanne said...

Tracey, your garden is stunning and I am jealous of all your flowers! We picked a few more peonies today, but that's all...your card is great. I love the mix of patterns and earth tones, and the zipper die is just FUN FUN FUN! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays this week! ;)

Jean said...

I love it and I am sure your hubby will love it also. I missed the boat on getting the new striped impression die. Thanks for sharing part of our lovely garden.

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Your garden is gorgeous!! And what a fun and clever zipper idea - love it! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays - we're so glad you did!!

Jenny said...

Fabulous guys card, love the interactive part of it and good idea to photograph it before assembly!!
Your garden looks beautiful full of blooming colour... i bet it smells like heaven too :0)
Thanks for joining us at CASual Fridays :0)
Jenny x