September 1, 2014

Virginia View Challenge #7 - Guest Design and StampNation Challenge141

cover




I am really excited to share with you that I am a Guest Designer for Virginia's View Challenge #7
This is the first time she is having guests for her very popular challenges and I am thrilled to have been asked along with some other fabulous and talented designers.



Being a clean & simple designer using patterned paper can be challenging, but it can also make for stunning results.  There are a few things I consider when using patterned paper to keep true to my personal style:

  • When working with patterned papers it is easy when you choose patterns from the same paper collection as I did with the Into the Woods collection from Lawn Fawn.
  • Paper piecing is a fabulous way to add patterned paper to a CAS design without overdoing it.
  • Sequins are also another great way to balance patterned paper so it does not overwhelm your design.

 For my card is chose to use fall themed patterned papers and stamps. I stamped my sunflowers on some Lawn Fawn Into the Woods patterned paper and used the co-ordinating dies to cut the shapes. I also stamped the sunflower images again on another paper from the same collection so that I could layer the centres over the base shape. The leaves were also die cut and stamped from another patterned paper from Lawn Fawn's Pink Lemonade. I used Copic markers to colour the leaves to change the hue slightly. I stamped the sentiment first on a white card base using VersaFine Onyx Black. I then mounted all the images on the white card base. The top sunflower was mounted with a double layer of foam tape for dimension. Finally some coordinating sequins were added for more interest.


tracey_VV#7


tracey_detail (2)


I always love to see your comments, but I would love it if you went over to Virginia's View to see the rest of the Guest Designers and leave your comment there. I have turned off commenting for this post only.

19 comments :

Joyce said...

Congratulations on being Virginia's guest designer. Your card is fantastic, and you have given some really practical tips. I sure hope I have time to play along this month. But first, I'll need to run to the store to pick up some patterned paper, because I'm not sure I have any.

Lyn said...

Gorgeous card I love your choice of papers <3

Lin said...

Perfection, Tracey - love the papers and those sweet sunflowers!

Lynn said...

Stunning...this card shouts fall! Beautiful use of the papers Tracey!

Alanna said...

I love the paper piecing. Great card.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So gorgeous!! LOVING the flowers!!!!!

I Card Everyone said...

This, for me, is the toughest challenge. Even when given lovely collections of papers together in one single pad, I struggle making more than one pattern work together. You. You've got this down!
=] Michele

Maria said...

Those sunflowers are so pretty with the patterned paper! Lovely sequins and sweet sentiment, too!:-)

sandie said...

Great tips for us and congrats on the GDT, I do love that you used this blue against the fall theme, unusual idea and it looks terrific x

~amy~ said...

awwwwww...this is perfect!

Jacquie Southas said...

Love the way you used the papers, Tracey, especially the paper in the center of the flowers with the seed like pattern :)

Jen Mitchell said...

Congratulations on the guest designer spot. Well deserved. Your card is wonderful. Full of color and pattern and still has your signature look!

Barb Ghig said...

Congrats on your Guest DT spot for Virginia's challenge! I love the patterned papers you chose for your flowers and background! The autumn color palette is so pretty, too!

Kim Heggins said...

Tracey...so sweet and what a wonderful sunflower. I loved your helpful hints on making a CAS card, yours are the best!

Bobby said...

Patterned paper is really MY thing but I think you've used it perfectly for your CAS style. I love those big, bright sunflowers.

Lisa Elton said...

Congrats on guesting Tracey!! This is just darling, love the colors!

cm said...

You as GD - wild cheering! And your showcase card is stunning! Happy papers, fun images, fabulous card! It just doesn't get better than this! So enjoy visiting your blog; an inspiring, inviting place to be!
Hugs~c

Sherrie M. said...

Love this! Congrats on your GD. You've definitely inspired me to use up some of the patterned paper in my stash.

Jeanne J. said...

Super happy card. I love the pattern paper, what a great alternative to coloring and so much impact. Those big sequins are yummy too!