October 10, 2013

Craft Room Organization

I love to take a peak at where people create!
When I see something on a website, a blog post or Pinterest, I study it to see how they organize their space.

As promised I took pictures of my craft room after my World Card Making Day organization and before normal chaos returned! For my birthday four years ago my husband converted our forth bedroom into a craft room for me complete with custom designed IKEA tabletops and cabinets.

It was the best birthday gift ever!
I will warn you that there are a lot of pictures in this post.

ETA: Lisa Elton did a craft room tour feature at Craft Storage Ideas on my Craft room.

A room with a view {of my neighbour's house} but a nice bright window.



The U shaped work space gives me lots of space to craft and allows me to keep the tools I use most out and ready to use.  The two hanging lights over the main work space have Ott Light Bulbs in them.  Perfect for crafting at night.  The bank of drawers at the end hold supplies that I use regularly for easy access such as adhesives.


At the end of the main work table is my Cuttlebug and my beloved Pottery Barn caddy.  My most used tools and Copics are in there.


I took this idea from Nichole Heady for storing felt in one of the drawers.


The majority of my supplies are on these bookcases out in plain site. The upper shelves hold photo albums and scrapbook albums. The two lower shelves on the right side I rent out to my hubby to keep some of his non-crafty stuff!  


I store my supplies in these labelled white photo boxes from Michael's.  I keep all my Papertrey Ink, Inks out on the shelf for easy access.


The plastic container sitting on top of the box is where I store my sequins. Joyce from Cards-by-the-sea tuned me in to this container to store sequins. I love that I can just grab it and all the colours are right there, the only problem is that it is almost full.



I currently store my dies in CD envelopes that I have labelled using labels I created on the computer. The acrylic bins I found at Solutions {the Canadian Container Store}.


I store my 6 x 6 paper pads in plastic bins on the shelf upside down so that I can flip through them.  I use clear 6 x 6 bags to store the scrap pieces in right behind the pad they are from.  All of my buttons are stored in wide mouth mason jars on the same shelf.


I jumped on the Jennifer McGuire bandwagon with my stamp storage using a Fridge Binz and Avery Elle Pockets.  I am not quite finished organizing them all. I have a second bin to store all my cards in.  


My Waltzingmouse and Verve Stamps are stored in a plastic bin because they are a bit wider.


The closet is all accessible storage. Both sides have the same plastic storage bins.  The upper shelves are 12 x 12 drawers and are FULL of patterned paper and cardstock organized by manufacturer and cardstock by colour.  The bottom drawers hold punches, wooden stamps, my heat gun, envelopes, embossing powders, Distress Inks and stuff I do not know what to do with.

The desk to the right is also rented out to my hubby when he is working from home, but 99% of the time I use it as another work table.


Thanks for visiting my craft room, I have uploaded all of these photos to my "My Craft Room" Pinterest board HERE.

42 comments :

Gayatri said...

Wow! Love your craft room, Tracey! I am also in the Jennifer's bandwagon to organise my stamps in the bins and pockets:) I love the sequins storage. I have seen a similar container in one of my shops here. Love it but didn't know what I will use it for. Now I do:) You craft room is so organised. Motivating me to organise mine:)

Maureen Merritt said...

Your craft room looks great Tracey. You are SO organized, I LOVE it! I find the creative process so much easier when everything is in its place :) I'm thinking of jumping on the Jennifer McGuire bandwagon too. My storage works, it's just not perfect!
Congrats again on your Moxie Fabbber, left you love on Cath's blog!

Lynn said...

Amazing Tracey! I love seeing where you craft! The space is absolutely awesome and I love that you "rent portions" out to your hubby!

Mary Pat Siehl said...

oh how i love an organized room! - i switched to the fridge binz as well and i totally LOVE them

Lisa Elton said...

TFS this with us Tracey! I love to see where others create and how they organize too! I usually come away with and idea to use or change in my space. I also love that you rent out space to your hubby ;)

June K said...

I loved the tour. TFS.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwww! Your space is AMAZING!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee it!!!!!!!

Brenda in IN said...

What a great room, so light and organized. I would love to live in there. You'e done a wonderful job of having things right at your fingertips and in clear sight.

Kristie Goulet said...

Very organized and a great space! Thanks so much for sharing!

Jill Norwood said...

Your room is so wonderful and so well organized! Love the amount of desk space you have to create on! And all of the wonderful storage ideas! Love the sequin container and your felt drawer! Thanks for sharing! So fun to see where you make all your wonderful cards and projects! :)

Barb said...

Wow! Awesome organization, Tracey! Your room looks amazing!

Colleen said...

Fabulous room, Tracey...you are so organized, no wonder your cards are always so clever and beautiful! How kind you are to "rent" out parts of your room to your DH! Thank you for sharing your photos with us!

Marisa said...

I'm totally jealous of your fabulous area! Think I may have to switch over to your die storage idea as it is a great space saver. Impressed with the organization and neat factor too :)

Jingle said...

Your room looks so great!!!

Kelly Griglione said...

Oh yay, a craft room tour!! So great to have a behind-the-scenes look at McNeely Manor. What a great birthday present indeed! And, I must say, your room looks exactly as I would have pictured ... just as CAS as your cards. Your felt drawer is just luscious!

Jeanne J. said...

Oh thanks for a peek into your world Tracey! What a wonderful place to get lost! Your DH knows the way to your heart!

Joyce said...

What a fabulous space. So organized. Now I can see why you are so creative, because you can see all of your stuff. You are inspiring me to get moving. One of the best features is that you have so much within reach of your rolling chair, so you do not have to get up and down all the time.

sandie said...

oh how jealous am I now Tracey!
You would so laugh if you saw the area I craft in (one day I will email you a photo so you can have a giggle!!)
xx

Kim Heggins said...

This is one amazing craft room! So clean and neat and so many wonderful goodies to play with and so much space to play in. So inspiring Tracey...thank you for getting me to better organize, between you and Joyce I should have my room ready to go in a few more years. Just stunning Tracey!

Alanna said...

What a fabulous room. I love seeing how people organize their stuff. It looks like you have a nice space for everything.

Marybeth said...

Oh how fun to peek into your beautiful craft room Tracey! What a wonderful gift! I did the same with sequins after I saw Joyce's post. Couldn't wait to fill it up.Your room is so well organized. Beautiful and thanks so much fro sharing. Glad to see you have a rolling chair as well. I was starting to feel maybe I was too lazy. lol.

Unknown said...

Loved seeing your craft space! You are one organized lady! I love it! Can I move in?

Annette Allen said...

how fun is your crafty space.. thanks for sharing..

Sheri Gilson said...

Amazing space, Tracey!! Wish mine was as clean as yours!!

Happy Dance said...

What a wonderful place to create! Bright and lots of good lighting, but most importantly, lots of "counter" space on which to create!! Someday, I'll get around to making mine more usable...Thanks for sharing! Bev

Kara said...

love seeing your space! i'd love to come and hang out in there:)

Jen Mitchell said...

What a treat to see where you do your creating! I love seeing how others store things because I always pick a good idea or two!

Judy1223 said...

That's it, I'm moving in! I want to play in YOUR craft room! I love the way you have it organized, everything accessible but neat and organized! Sigh...I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Kristie W. said...

Love your craft area, especially all of the natural light you get! I use the same pockets for my stamp storage and it's made such a difference! Thanks for sharing your space!

Kristie
http://mypaperlife.com

Unknown said...

what a beautiful space! the storage solutions are awesome!

Sharron said...

Thanks so much for sharing, Tracey. You have such a fabulous space to craft--great lighting and so much room! And you are SO organized! Loved seeing your felt storage idea too.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE looking at people's craft spaces - so thank you for sharing! I love how you store your buttons - great idea with the wide mouth mason jars. Thanks for the tour! :)

Lindsey said...

Beautiful, clean, perfect, what more can I say? Oh, love it. :) And I especially enjoyed your comment about renting out the bottom to shelves to your husband...still chuckling about that one.

Darnell said...

Thank you for sharing, Tracey! It is every bit as lovely, organized, and brilliant as I knew it would be. It totally reflects you in every little awesome detail!! Hugs, Darnell

maria f. said...

Thanks for sharing. You have one mighty nice space.

Renee said...

You are so organized!!
Can you come for a visit and organize me?
I need you and Kara to come and just take over my craft space...
which happens to look as though a bomb went off right now...
y'all would die! :)

Stacey Schafer said...

love taking a peek into your craft space! thanks for the tour, Tracey!

Jacquie Southas said...

I share a space with my husband (3/4 me, 1/4 for him), so love that you "rent space" to your husband LOL. Looks like a fabulous, well organized room!

Jinny Newlin said...

What a fantastic room, Tracey! Thanks for sharing all the extras for organization with us, too!

Petti said...

great crafting area, so organized!

Cindy C. said...

Very nice craft room! Spacious, bright, organized, I love the U shape desk set up!!

staceylovespaper said...

Great room, love your set-up!!