February 20, 2016

Essentials by Ellen February Pinsights Challenge

cover


I made this card for the Ellen Hutson's February Pinsights Challenge. I made my watercolour panel originally to die cut from but once it was dry I decided that I wanted to use the whole panel on my card. I have lots of good watercolours--Peerless, Gansai, Zigs and even lots Distress Inks but when I made this panel I pulled out my Michael's watercolour palette that I picked up for $5. Funny how that happens sometimes. The finished product was definitely chalkier than the better quality products but I really like all the different shades in my cheap palette--lol




Watercolour, like Wink of Stella or any other medium that adds shine, is very difficult to photograph to capture the true colour. I think I must have taken 30 photos before I got a shot that looked like the actual card. Manual camera settings and I have a bit of a love/hate relationship. I am sure many of you have the same one with your camera. The watercolour panel was die cut with a stichted rectangle, the sentiment heat embossed with white and then the panel was sprayed with gold Color Shine. The die cut flower was embossed with gold embossing powder and then adhered with a foam tape. Some clear sequins added just because and done.


tracey_Febpinsights


What are your plans for this weekend?
Having my kids home this week was so nice, Ben headed back to Sudbury on Thursday afternoon becuase he had 'things to do' and Brooklyn wanted to stay the weekend so she will be taking the bus back on Sunday.

I am still busy organizing my studio, for the most part I am done but I have to tackle the bookshelves. Since our move a lot of stuff has just been put on the shelf to get it off the floor or because I haven't found a home for it yet.

Choosing window coverings for our new house was a big decision. The windows are 74" tall and we decided that we didn't want to cover them and spoil the view. Before Christmas we ordered shutters for our bedroom, my daughters bedroom and my studio. They came this week and I am so excited with how they look. My husband bought me an island and two chairs for Valentine's, he couldn't have chosen a better gift. By going with an island in my studio I don't have a desk running in front of the window and it makes it easier for me, who likes to craft primarily standing up but I have the chairs if I need to rest and during the day I can keep the shutters open to enjoy the view and lets lots of light into the room.

So I went from this...


to this...


The island is a kitchen island from IKEA. It is 48" x 31" which makes for a great sized workspace. I will post some more photos once everything finds it's place.

Have a fabulous weekend not matter what you do.


25 comments :

Karen B. said...

Your room is beautiful! And such a pretty card too. I enjoyed reading about your process.

Karen B. said...

Your room is beautiful! And such a pretty card too. I enjoyed reading about your process.

~amy~ said...

Your watercoloring is wonderful! I haven't used my $5 M's watercolors, thanks for the inspiration. Your studio is FANTASTIC. Love the island!

Kim Heggins said...

Simply beautiful Tracey...and I love your new craft space and you are so organized!!! What are those cup type things hanging from your Ikea cart? They look so fun.

Kara said...

Love your island. Totally need that in my craft room. I stand to craft too!

Linda said...

That watercolor background is so gorgeous, Tracey. Love it. Lucky you to get such a great Valentine gift from your husband. Such a nice space.

Happy Dance said...

Double *sigh*, Tracey. Gorgeous, gorgeous card with incredible watercoloring. The Ellen flower in gold is the perfect compliment to this pretty backdrop, and I'm loving how it shows through the petals. And your room! Oh this looks like a very happy place to craft!! LOVE that island idea. This is one of the best Valentine's gifts ever! So glad you got to spend time with your children too. Sounds like a great week. Have a sweet weekend too. Bev

Diane Jaquay said...

Your card is lovely, Tracey! Loving the look of your remodeled craft space, the white makes everything looks so fresh and I love the island. My craft space is in my living room lol, I'd love to have a space of my own that I could decorate!

Sheri Gilson said...

Beautiful card, Tracey! Love the watercolor background! Your craft space is awesome too...love that island!

Lisa Elton said...

Love that you use your pretty watercolored panel. This is so pretty Tracey!! Love all of the natural light in your new and improved studio!!

Nora Noll said...

First, I LOVE your card. So pretty. The watercolor background with the gold is fabulous. Second, love the fun island in your room. I so wanted one in mine but it is too small to have one. I also like that your room is so NEAT. I wish I could get a handle on all my stuff and have it be as clean as yours!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Your card is gorgeous! And your room is looking AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Lindsey said...

Such a pretty card! I love the gold flower against the watercoloured background. Your freshly painted craft space looks terrific!

TK said...

Beautiful - I love the bold colors and the pop of gold! How awesome - the island is wonderful, and looks very useful!

Greta said...

I don't have a craft room, but if I did I'd love it to be like yours! The island is a great idea! Beautiful card, Tracey, from that beautiful inspiration!

Darnell said...

Having seen both this magnificent card and your magnificent new craft room on FB, Tracey, I had to come over and see more details! I'm so happy for you about your new room and so happy for me to have this wildly vibrant and beautiful card to inspire me!! Pinning! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Darnell

Anita in France said...

Love that gorgeous gold bloom against the delicious watercolouring, Tracey ... the dimension is awesome! The transformation of your craft room is awesome ... what a stunning space to create ... I'd never want to leave!! Hugs, Anita :)

Miriam Prantner said...

Such a pretty background, love the gold with it. Your craft room is looking amazing!

Lynn said...

I love your card but let's talk about the before and after. It is amazing!

Joyce said...

I love your new room, and now I have an image in my mind when we are chatting or I am just thinking about you. Your new home is coming together so very nicely. And, that card--amazing panel, and how funny that it was your cheapest supplies.

Katie Ann Brooks said...

fabulous! That gold really pops

Jinny Newlin said...

Your room is coming along beautifully! How exciting! Can't wait to see more, and I just love the gold bloom outline with that soft, watercolor background. So pretty!

Kelly Griglione said...

Gorgeous card with your M's watercolors! I always think I need to get the more "professional" watercolors, but it's good to see your beautiful results with the regular watercolors. And holy cow, what a pretty craft room, and Valentine's present!! With all the cards you make I find it interesting that you craft standing up. You must be very fit : )

Cat Craig said...

Your card is so pretty, the watercolor with the embossed bloom just tugs at me. So nice to see bits of your crafty space.

Sherrie M. said...

Love the studio transformation!!